Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Me a runner???

I never liked running.  In junior high and high school we were required to do a "mile" run every term.  I was always the last to finish.  A few years ago I was visiting with a friend who had recently started running.  I thought, "I could never do that."  And then one day while I was on a walk, I decided to start jogging/running.  I was in the cemetery a block away from where I live and I would pick a spot up ahead and run to that spot.  Then I would pick another spot where I would start running again.  Soon it became easier.  I decided that I wanted to do a 5K to prove to myself that I can do it.  Now it doesn't seem a big deal to go to the gym and run 3+ miles. I do feel like my time isn't as good on a treadmill as it is outside. I can't wait to get back outside.

To date I have done three 5K's.
  • August 9, 2011--5K to benefit the White Earth Autism Association.  This was at a conference I went to for work.  35 minutes 12 seconds
  • September 11, 2011--5K for the Altru Breast Cancer Coalition.  36 minutes 40 seconds.  I was dissappointed it took longer, but it was 80+ degrees that afternoon.
  • October 23, 2011--UND Homecoming 5K.  39 minutes 3 seconds.  Found out at the end of the race that someone directing runners sent us on a wrong turn and we ran and extra half mile.  3.6 miles instead of 3.1
I am now trying to make a decision about what I can do in an upcoming race.  5K? 10K?  Half marathon?

No comments:

Post a Comment